“Cheese is fulfilling to eat and full of flavor. It’s never boring,” says Rudie Smit, who owns Olsson’s Fine Foods with his wife, Jennifer. “All cheeses are different and the ongoing discovery process is truly fascinating. Learning about cheese is like uncovering a book full of stories – there’s a story behind the person who made the cheese, how they first made it and how the flavors developed over time,” he says. Hear all about these stories AND enjoy his gourmet cheese at the Princeton Wedding Showcase in March! In the meantime, learn the top 5 ways to pair cheese with wine/liquor with Rudie’s pro tips!
- Creamier cheeses love the subtle flavor of sparkling white wine. Délice de Bourgogne, a French triple cream cheese, goes well with champagne. This is Rudie’s favorite pairing.
- Red wine goes with harder cheeses such as Gouda, Manchego and Goat Milk Cheese. Carménère wine from Chile is fruity, not bitter nor tart, which pairs best with earthy and nutty cheeses.
- Malt Whiskey goes with 5 Year Aged Gouda. Rudie and his folks call it “Candy Cheese” because of its sweetness, butterscotch-caramel flavor and crunchy texture.
- Cheese with beer is a classic pairing that goes way back in Europe and has many variations… Here are a few!Rudie’s tips on pairing cheese with beer:
- Stouts and porters go with smoked cheese.
- Lagers go better with younger cheeses such as cheddar.
- Crisp beer, just like white wine, goes with creamier cheeses.
- Delice de Jura is a pasteurized milk cheese. When melted, you can serve it on a spoon or spread it on crusty bread. This cheese pairs best with fruity red or white wine and is a great choice for weddings and parties, especially in the spring.
If this made you hungry, then it’s time to head over to Olsson’s Fine Foods and satisfy your cheese cravings! This gourmet cheese shop is only a walk away from our doorsteps, and we’re partnered together in various ways. Olsson’s specialty imported cheeses are available on our corporate, social and wedding menu packages. Cheese and entertaining also go hand-in-hand. If you’re newly engaged, don’t miss out on a chance to taste Olsson’s Gourmet Cheese at our Princeton Wedding Showcase on Sunday, March 19th! Pre-register for the event here. See you there!
About the Author: Lily Lee is the Marketing Assistant at the historical Nassau Inn. She graduated from Rutgers University with a B.A. in Communications, minor in Digital Information & Media, and a passion for English and creative writing.